Monday, February 7, 2011

BP2_Game Classroom





I didn’t realize that there was a world of web 2.0 tools at my fingertips that could be so useful. After looking at some of the tools available online for communication, social networking and such, I decided to narrow my search to meet one simple objective, a fun way to reinforce math = MATH GAMES. In my classroom this is the area in which my students are struggling. They seem unmotivated to study and since one concept builds on the next, this makes introducing new materials much more difficult. The web 2.0 tool I found was Game Classroom; this was developed to help address the needs of parents and educators around the globe. They found that both parents and educators were frustrated with how boring learning had become for their students.  While navigating their site I found myself playing the games and having fun.  I played several math games that touched on probability, estimation, multiplication/division, and addition/subtraction. These games had higher level thinking skills and required students to focus. I could use this kind of application in my classroom to reinforce skills. I could set up a game of the week that could be part of our center rotation for students to play when they competed their class works. It would also be ideal to assign for homework, for those students that have computers at home. There is a fee to become a member of the site, however I found that you do have access to several well-designed games without signing up. Overall, I found both the math games and language arts games were educational, challenging, and more importantly for the student... FUN!



Multiplication


Grammar

Estimation


more grammar






1 comment:

  1. Learning can be fun...

    Game Classroom is definitely going to get added to the list of approved websites my computer class students can go on when they finish their assignments.

    Why didn't this stuff exist when we were growing up?

    I am just glad that my students will get the chance to use it!

    ReplyDelete