Friday, September 9, 2011

Wk 2 The Art of Possibility


The Art of Possibility has been a great book to read. I am such a big believer in that you get what you put in, and you are only as good as you think you are. Those two beliefs fall right in line with everyone getting an A. If you think you’re an A, you’ll perform like an A. How great is that!
Now I think that you can teach this to kids and they too will rise to the occasion, but I would worry about them at a young age not wanting to do anymore because they already earned an A. I know that in the book it talks about being the second violinist, but that comes with maturity.
It caught my attention to think that we live in a world of measurement. As a society everyone likes to know where he or she stacks up, or how they are ‘keeping up with the Jones’.  I love the idea that we can make our own realities by taking a step back and removing our preconceptions. By looking at the glass as half full. Not that you can create your own powerful Universe by simple thinking it can happen, but by doing things you love, and engaging people in your passion, as they state in the book.
I think this book is great read for anyone!

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I was always a big one for keeping up with the Jones', and that in my life, my brother is the Jones'. We constantly are trying to one up each other. I think that it is bad in many respects to try to live this way, but there is still a part of me that believes that our rivalry shows great respect for one another and has helped each of us and some around us to live better lives as well. What do you think, Daniela? Has there ever been anyone that you tried to keep up with and feel it actually was beneficial to do so? Do you think that this is similar to engaging people in your passion in any way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are some scenarios in which keeping up with the Jones' does allow for some healthy competition. But there are always the few who will take it to extremes. I think that by engaging people in your passion you are not only opening their eyes up to new experiences, but making them want more for themselves. So I guess you could see it as a similar competitive edge. But I think of keeping up with the Jones' as trying to live a life "bigger" than you are capable of and opening someones passions to something that can help them achieve the life they want? Maybe there is a happy medium...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniela - I agree with you, for the most part.

    I definitely believe that, "you get what you put in" and life is ultimately what you make of it. However, I struggle with the idea that you are only as good as you think you are.

    In business, I tend to find that the most humble workers tend to be the most diligent. They often produce work of exceptional quality, and yet they strive to achieve more and do better all the time. On the other hand, I have found that those who openly pride themselves on the quality of their work, have a tendency to overlook fine details or fail to evolve their talents over time.

    I think there is something to be said for having pride in what you do, as well as a healthy respect and drive for what you will achieve in the future. If we can find a duality - of believing that we are an A, but there is always the potential to do better, then we have the benefit of perpetual challenge on our side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that you have to brag or boast in order to think you are good at something. I think you have to believe that you can do it, the humble people that "often produce work of exceptional quality, and yet they strive to achieve more and do better all the time" have to have a sense that they are good at what they do, they just don't need everyone to know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you hit the nail on the head about students needing maturity, but just like you wouldn't serve a whole steak to a little one, but cut it up into bit-size pieces, so you'd do the same with the responsibility of living up to ones own idea of "why I got an A today." :-) ... though maybe the vegetarians would have issue with that...

    ReplyDelete